Monday, September 12, 2011

marathon man! (today)

whew. today was a long one. long but good.

going by my new plan of getting to orlando quickly tomorrow, i just started heading east again until i couldn't go no mo'. i got right back on US 82 east and was on it all day. across mississippi, all the way across alabama and into georgia. the primary goal today was getting miles under the tires (which is quickly becoming a popular phrase in my vernacular), and i put 500 miles under them today. it was a long one, but worth it. unfortunately, that means no new pictures (that's ok, though, you have two older posts to catch up on).

to be honest, though, there isn't a lot to report. the scenery was very much the same across the south. it was very lovely, but not a lot of change. i'm glad i decided to head east, though, before heading south because the further south i get, the worse the humidity gets. i think a full day on the gulf coast would have been miserable. i made the mistake of wetting my bandana once today. it didn't dry.

i also broke my fast food rule again because, well, sometimes subway is really the only place vegetables can be found on the road. i'm jonesing for a truly good vegetarian meal, but for now i'll settle for sandwiches loaded with all the fixin's. i pretty much only stopped for gas all day (although by the end of the day i wasn't going a full tank, since i needed a few breaks myself).

so now i'm in tifton GA, on the verge of I-75 south, which will shoot me right into florida for a nice easy day tomorrow. i should be there in about 5 hours or so, in time to help teach a drama class or five. glutton for punishment, that's me.

i'm not sure if the road was getting to me or what, but recently i've been fantasizing about making this trip on a harley-davidson. a nice sportster 883 dark, with lots of leg room and a nice seat. i must be slipping.

thusfar, the number one casualty on this trip has been my skin. i have bad skin anyway, but i used up about half a box of bandaids ointmenting the various places that are irritated from all the sitting and sweating. i may have to bite my pride and invest in some talcum powder. luckily, i don't have that much more time down south and once i head north things should get better in that department (although the east coast can be just as humid, though hopefully not as hot).

anyway, my arrival tomorrow marks the halfway point of my trip! woohoo! i am psyched! in practical terms, i would expect a short post tomorrow, since i'll be on interstate the whole way, and then i'll do a midpoint update sometime on my off-day.

until then,

rftc,

scott

No comments:

Post a Comment