Friday, September 16, 2011

cold in carolina

i'm not sure what the official nickname is for south carolina, but the new one is "the too-f@#king-windy state."

it was a tough day today. that's not to say i necessarily consider it a bad day, but it was a tough one. it started out fine enough, i got on the road right around 8am from savannah, leaving in the lukewarm shower that is the southern humidity in the morning. as i crossed the bridge into south carolina, i had no idea what was in store for me.

my plan was to head up 17 the whole way, riding along the coast through charleston and into north carolina before cutting over to greenville. unfortunately, about 20-30 miles into SC the temperature must have dropped 15 degrees. by the time i hit charleston 90ish miles later, i had already stopped several times to layer up. at my first gas stop (earlier than intended) i threw on my jeans under the riding pants, put the liner in my coat and took a look at the map. in addition to being cold, 17 was plagued with construction which was slowing me down quite a bit at regular intervals. i thought i might solve both problems if i headed inland and so, on a whim, took highway 41, which cut up north a bit more directly.

41, though a nice highway winding through the trees, only solved some of my problems. the construction was almost gone but it was still cold and now i had no idea how i was ultimately going to get where i was going. by the time i hit mullins SC for lunch (a pitiful gas station sandwich) i was cold, tired and had lost at least an hour by way of mileage covered. i saw by the map that i could continue on 41 and eventually meet up with my predetermined route, or i could jump on to I-95 and take a slightly quicker route. looking at what time it was and judging that the weather wasn't going to get any better, i decided to take I-95.

now, i already mentioned that i was warned against 95. i was told time and again about the bad traffic, horrible drivers and sadistic truck drivers. let me just say that all the rumors are true. i swear one truck tried to pass me for 20 miles just so he could force me into his slipstream. it was pretty bad. and the wind, which had also been plaguing me all day, was as bad as ever. literally throughout the entire state i was beaten and battered around by the wind. my muscles were sore from holding the bike steady, and my neck is still stiff. then it started raining.

in spite of the bad conditions, i decided to stick it out on 95 as opposed to jumping on another highway, since i figured the conditions wouldn't be any better and at least i would get there faster.

now, the reason that this was not a bad day is that i perservered. i had some bad moments, as is to be expected, but i stopped when i needed to, took care of myself and kept going. at my last gas stop i took my time, threw on my extra coat underneath the jacket and had a nice, hot cup of coffee. when i hit the road again i was warmed up and in a good mood again, singing along as i carved around the dastardly truck drivers. i was wet and a little cold, but i was doing well.

needless to say, i was not impressed by south carolina. here's a picture i took of a plantation i happened to stop next to in order to change my gloves:

yeehaw.

i have another rest day tomorrow, and pat and i will be heading to the outer banks, where i will finally get to see the atlantic ocean. apparently it likes to hide.

rftc,

scott

No comments:

Post a Comment